This course is certified to fulfill two GE requirements:
- Global and Cultural Awareness
- Social Science
Learning Outcomes for the Global and Cultural Awareness GE requirement:
- Students will acquire informed awareness of a) a culture other than the student’s primary (or most familiar) culture, or b) the interplay of multiple cultures, languages, and/or nations.
- Students will engage in thoughtful reflection of that informed awareness in a structured, guided manner under the direction of a faculty member, as evidenced by student written or spoken analyses (often involving comparison) in consideration of a culture, multicultural interplay, or global issue.
- Students will develop greater empathy and charity as they gain a broader perspective and learn to see themselves from another’s point of view.
Learning Outcomes for the Social Science Requirement:
Having completed this requirement, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the basic scientific principles which undergird the scientific process, including the strengths and weaknesses of this process.
- appreciate the excitement of discovery that has accompanied important scientific developments.
- demonstrate how scientific methodology can be used to analyze real-world science-related problems.
- evaluate scientific data and claims in order to make rational decisions on public-policy science issues that affect their community.
- express their thoughts (in oral, graphical, and written formats) on scientific topics clearly, including appropriate use of basic scientific vocabulary and effective interpretation of quantitative data.
- reflect rationally upon the interface between science and religion.